Friday, May 29, 2009

Keep the Faith, Baby!

Keep the Faith. Being faithful. Having faith in someone, in something. "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." (Hebrews 11:1) Faith is being sure.

During my upbringing, I didn't think about faith. It was just there. I had Faith, according to my teachers, because I believed in God and in Eternal Salvation. I was set. I had Faith as in: "The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will." (American Heritage Dictionary, 3rd Ed., 1996) Faith in that sense didn't have anything to do with what was happening on Earth. And nothing on Earth was as certain as God and Salvation, so it was better that I didn't have faith in anything or anyone in my life.

The American Heritage Dictionary also defines faith as a "confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, an idea or thing." and as "Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence." A synonym of faith is Trust. "Firm reliance on the integrity, ability or character of a person or thing." So you have a confident belief in someone's trustworthiness and then you rely on him. Faith and Trust go hand in hand.

In a sermon I heard last year, the minister encouraged us to define our own faith through questions. When the chips are down and life is throwing lemons, what do you rely on to pull you through? To what or to whom do you turn to support you through the tough times? Answering instinctively, from the gut, uncovers some interesting answers.

I have faith in my own abilities to see me through. My intellect, my judgment, my knowledge. At the same time, I am convinced that, although I might have cultivated these abilities, I received them, and any talents I possess, as gifts from God the Creator.

I also have faith in the Interdependent Web, the Life System, the Exquisite Timing, in God within whom we live and move and have our being. I have a confident belief that this Web aligns itself with Good, moves toward the positive, desires the Kingdom of God here, in our existence. I have faith that when I have a problem, other people and circumstances will align to help me toward an ultimately good outcome--not necessarily at the immediate time or for me personally, but for the Life System, the Web as a whole.

Part of any Leap of Faith is to be aware of how that alignment may be happening around me--dynamically--and deliberately step into the flow.

Recognizing and moving in the correct flow, following my Bliss, seeking courage and goodness, living in love and compassion, listening to my spiritual teachers and scripture. I have faith in this life Path. I trust that if I follow this Path, I will, with God, create positive ripples around me and in the world.

When the chips are down and life is throwing lemons, what do you rely on to pull you through? To what or to whom do you turn to support you through the tough times?

Quick! What's your answer?

2 comments:

  1. I have faith that God is bigger then all of us. He can not be put into a box, although we all try in some fashion. I believe no religion owns the ultimate rights to God. God is God of all. He does not care if we are jewish, catholic, muslim or even unitarian. I believe in hard times there is so much more going on then I could ever fathom. I agree with Socrates that "true wisdom is knowing that we do not know" I believe we are all united in this system of life and that God is the energizing force pushing us forward. For me, a leap of faith, is pushing forward in troubled times not knowing how or where the solution will be found. It is through centering prayer that I find solace. It is in the realization that the world is much bigger than myself, and the solution I would prefer may not be in the best interest of the "common good". I believe God is more interested in the bigger picture then my own selfish interpretation of what is going on. The image I hold on to deeply is being cradled in the palm of God's hand afraid and wounded, comfort coming only from the realization that God cares for all of humanity. I believe God is still creating and I pray that I accept his invitation to help bring about the realization of the Kingdom in his time.
    Peace to all, . . . Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely said, Lynda. Your comment builds right from Bishop Pearson's statement, "God is so much better than you can conceive!" God has bigger plans, better plans, more compassion. Given the limits of my mind, I need a reminder of that everyday. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete